Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ancient Egypt Enthralling as Ever

When I was growing up, I dreamt of visiting Egypt. Everything about ancient Egypt fascinated me. The breath-taking monuments like the pyramids and the sphinx that are still around today after three thousand years enthralled me. I was particularly fascinated with how they were built, how the ancient Egyptians lived and the treasures still waiting to be discovered under the sand. I knew that I was going to find the unspoiled tomb of some ancient Egyptian pharaoh that would rival the discovery of King Tut. In my dream, I was the somewhat romanticised version of an archeologist - living in a camp site at the dig, painstaking brushing the dirt off relics and rolling into my camp bed at night, tired, dusty and completely happy.

Of course, now that I’ve grown up, I am still fascinated by ancient Egypt. I still want to visit and see the pyramids and sphinx for myself. I have, however, decided to choose luxury Egypt holidays over the romanticised version I carried as a child. Now that I have actually slept in a camp bed and been to camp sites with the only the bare essentials, I have decided that roughing it is definitely not for me. In fact, as an adult, my idea of roughing it now is staying in a hotel where they do not have hair dryers in every room.

The reason luxury Egypt holidays are so appealing is that I need some pampering and tender loving care on my holiday. My holidays now are about comfort as much as about excitement. I can no longer imagine myself crawling in and out of a dusty tomb day in and day out but I can imagine myself sipping cocktails on a Nile cruise during one of those luxury Egypt holidays.

I can see myself coming home to my five star hotel and washing off the dust of the day in a luxurious bubble bath, getting all dressed up for dinner and then enjoying a sumptuous feast during one of those luxury Egypt holidays.

Isn’t it amazing how different we become as we get older? I think of my younger self and wonder what she would think of going on one of those luxury Egypt holidays. I imagine she would be quite horrified at the very idea and would be quite dismayed at the thought of not staying at a dig site. I sometimes wonder what happened to her and then I remember how uncomfortable it is not to sleep on a mattress and think that maybe she would understand after all.

Visit ITC Classics for more information on luxury South Africa holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment